Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rumble In The Jungle: Ali-Foreman 34th Anniversary

Today is the 34 year anniversary of the George Foreman-Muhammad Ali Heavyweight Championship fight better known as the Rumble in the Jungle. It took place on October 30, 1974 in Zaire, Africa. This is considered to be one of the best fights of all time. It was not just a boxing match but a world event. Rumble in the Jungle represents a time when boxing was huge and transcended all issues. It was not about just a fight but it was truly an event. Mayweather-De La Hoya is the closest we have come to having an event in boxing in recent years, but you had to pay $54.95 to see it. Rumble in the Jungle was on regular television and I guarantee more people saw this one fight than probably any other fight. Still to this day this fight is frequently watched on ESPN Classic. Also it was the feature of the documentary movie When We Were Kings. In honor of this major event I have below the 8th round of this historic fight between two legends in Muhammad Ali and George Foreman.

2 comments:

Lady Di said...

I'm getting so old. I saw some fight news on another site on this vast metronet and thought about you Pound. I've been having my upppps and dowwns like normal folks but I'm surviving. I'm hoping you are too. How've you been?

hrposse said...

I saw this fight, it was not on regular TV, here in Detroit I went to the old Olympia Stadium where the Red Wings played and saw it on a big screen with a full house, awesome event