Saturday, July 26, 2008

Jeff Lacy Is Retiring???


Former IBF Super Middleweight Champion Jeff Lacy has said he is retiring. Lacy last fought and won a very close MD on ESPN2's Wednesday Night Fights this past Wednesday. Lacy was scheduled to then fight Jermain Taylor on November 15 on HBO. Then abruptly said he was retiring. Lacy told the Tampa Tribune, "There will be no fight between me and Jermain, I'm just retiring," he said. "I'm done. This business is dirty. That's all I have to say. This is a very dirty business. I would advise anyone who has kids not to ever let them fight in this business." Now I have stated I thought Lacy was really done as an elite fighter. I have not kept my feelings a secret. Personally I see him going down the path of Riddick Bowe soon if he keeps fighting. I mean lackluster performances and possible unpredictable actions in the future. I am not sure what happened after his fight on Wednesday, but the announcement of retirement seems like a hasty one. It seems like a hasty decision possibly made out of anger. Winky Wright, a fighter and close friend of Lacy's, believes Lacy is upset over something and just said he was retiring. Winky does not believe Lacy is really done with boxing. Well if Jeff Lacy is serious about his retirement, I wish him the best of luck.

2 comments:

clnmike said...

Damn!!

See what you did!

He must of read you post, lol.

But seriously this dude sounds like he is suffering from depression about the way his career has gone.

Taking some serious time off is what he needs.

That and a new team.

#1Pound4Pound said...

Funny you blamed me. I thought the same thing and when I read about it on Eastside Boxing they said Lacy must have read the comments from their readers. Honestly I think it is something to do with money that upset him. However I do think he knows he lost something against Calzaghe and their is nothing he can do about it. I do not think he has enough left to be a champion again. I hate to say that, but slowly he is starting to remind me of Riddick Bowe. The fight beaten out of him and impulsive odd decisions. Just a thought, not necessarily true.