Thursday, December 27, 2007

My 2008 Boxing WishList

As the last few days of 2007 roll down I reflect on the year it was (with the help of Boxing's Best on HBO) and begin to look forward to 2008. 2007 for true boxing fans was a pretty good year especially from September 29 till December 8. The first thing I wish for in 2008 is no injuries to either delay or cancel fights. September was a rough month for boxing fans and it made us nervous for the rest of the year. The second thing I wish for is more great competitive fights such as Cotto-Mosley. What this really means is I want the best big names to actually fight the other big names, unlike Antonio Tarver who says he is the best but fights left over non-contender worthy opponents like Danny Santiago. So Hopkins-Calzaghe, Cotto-Mayweather, maybe a rematch of Margarito with the more improved Kermit Cintron, these are the type of fights we want in 2008. The third thing I wish for is that Floyd Mayweather Jr. does not actually do something stupid like join MMA but yet further prove his greatness in the boxing ring by fighting Miguel Cotto. Although boxing will make it without Floyd, we still need our best fighter to remain with us while he is still at his peak. The fourth thing I wish for is that Juan Diaz does NOT somehow have his career delayed because of contract issues with Don King. A few words of wisdom to other fighters who may think of signing with Don King, HAVE YOUR OWN LAWYER WHO IS IN YOUR BEST INTERESTS READ YOUR CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN. The fifth thing I wish for is that we get some clarity in the heavyweight division. Sure most boxing fans recognize Wladmir Klitschko as the champion but unifying titles will really clean the division up. The February 23 fight between Klitschko and Ibragimov is a good start. The sixth thing I wish for is the retirement papers of Evander Holyfield. We love you Evander but the fat lady has been singing for quite some time so please either clean out your ears or have someone show you the video of her singing. The seventh thing I wish for is an alliance between boxing and a major network to get some boxing on regular television. If UFC is going to get possibly get some exposure than boxing deserves it as well. Boxing has been around longer and is still strong despite what many ignorant people try to say. The eighth and final wish I have right now is just for all true boxing fans like myself to have a great year of boxing to witness. 2007 was a great year for us and it gave us a lot to smile about and I hope 2008 will make us smile even more. So Happy New Year and I hope all your boxing wishes come true.

No comments: