Wednesday, December 26, 2007

One Last Great Fight or Payday????

January 19,2008 is the fight between Former #1Pound4Pound Champion Roy Jones Jr. and Felix Tito Trinidad. Many say it is a fight that should have happened about 6-7 years ago. Many question whether this is just another major payday for both fighters? Many think of it as a senior citizen's fight. Myself I will admit it is a fight that is not of high meaning except the fact it is two big name future Hall of Famers that have a huge following. Will it be fight of the year, I highly doubt but will it be a fight I will watch, you better believe. In boxing we tend to watch the fighters we know and have come to know. We all knew Arturo Gatti was past his prime but many of us still watched him get beat up by Alfonso Gomez. The case with Roy and Felix is somewhat similar. Roy Jones Jr. has not had a significant win since March 1, 2003 when he defeated John Ruiz for the WBA Heavyweight Title. Sure he fought and got a MD over Antonio Tarver, but that is not the Roy we were used to seeing. Then in their rematch in May 2004 he was knocked out and 4 months later he was knocked out in a more brutal fashion by Glen Johnson having most of us waving our white flags for him to retire. Like most boxers he kept fighting and again lost to Antonio Tarver before notching his first win since 2003 in July 2006 against Prince Badi Ajamu. He followed that win by beating Anthony Hanshaw in July 2007. Felix Trinidad has not be brutally knocked out but his inactivity is no help to him either. The last time we saw Trinidad we saw him get thoroughly dominated by Winky Wright in May 2005 with essentially one punch, a left jab. Personally I thought that was the last time I would see Trinidad but I see I was wrong. I know you are like what is your prediction well first I will give you my logic then my prediction. Logic tells me that based on Roy Jones Jr. being a light heavyweight for as long as he has he should be far superior than Felix Trinidad. Sure they are fighting at a catch weight of 170 but Trinidad has never fought above 160 and he was not the best there. Trinidad was dominated and KOd by Bernard Hopkins. When he came back in 2004 he beat a blown up welterweight in Ricardo Mayorga and got many people hype until he faced Winky Wright. After that fight Tito went back to retirement where I think (maybe wrong) he should have stayed. Now in 2008 he wants to come back at 170 against Roy Jones Jr. Roy is bigger, quicker and stronger than Trinidad based on natural logic. Felix still probably has some power but at 170 you have to question that. As with many fighters as they move up in weight the power seems to stay in the lower weights. Trinidad did KO William Joppy which is decent and Hacine Cherifi in 2002 which is not that impressive since 98% of the people who will read this will not have a clue who he is. Roy Jones has KOd light heavyweights but has not KOd someone since Clinton Woods in 2002. However I am led to believe Roy is still stronger and has the harder punch at 170. Also as a longtime Roy Jones Jr. fan and based on the logic I am seeing here when I go through past fights and information that Roy Jones Jr. will win by KO on January 19, 2008. If he stays true to his word about KOing Tito in 4 we may see a very aggressive Roy reminiscent of the one we saw in the rematch of the Montel Griffin fight. However with that said I do not see Trinidad really coming to lay down. Trinidad swears this is not a one fight comeback saying he wants to fight Hopkins which is a dumb move if he gets his wish. I suppose time will tell who is ready come fight night. Citing both fighters have lost a few steps we have no idea who will show up but in my eyes it will be a Roy Jones Jr. victory.

No comments: