Thursday, February 7, 2008

Redemption Or The Agony Of Defeat???

We are about 9 days from the rematch between Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik. I am so excited about this fight. I really hope Jermain Taylor can bounce back from his only professional loss which was in his last fight to Pavlik. I cannot lie I think Pavlik will beat Taylor again but I hope not. This fight unlike the first fight is being fought at a catchweight of 166 which probably will benefit both fighters. However it may benefit Pavlik a little more since he is taller. You know I keep watching clips of the first fight and I look at some of the training videos and photos of the fighters and I just get so hype. What I worry about most from Jermain is not just the fundamentals he failed at in the first fight such as his hands being low, being outjabbed, his stamina being poor; I worry about his mental disadvantage. Boxing is such a mental game and if your mind is not right before you walk in the ring then you may as well stay out of the ring. Taylor was brutally KOd by Pavlik and he has not fought since that day. The last image Taylor has of himself in the ring is slumping over and that is not a great image. How will Taylor bounce back? Will he use that KO as motivation to get even more focused on the task at hand or will he allow that last image to stay in his mind and intimidate him? I keep hearing quotes from Jermain about how it is about pride and all this which sounds great. It lets me know he knows the right things to say, but we all know actions speak far louder than words. When the bell rings on February 16, 2008 what type of fighter will come out of the corner? Will this fighter be able to put the past behind him and focus on winning the fight he is in? Will this fighter already be mentally defeated before the bell rings? Coming off a KO loss is hard and when the fighter you are fighting next is the same fighter that KOd you it can be intimidating. The words have been spoken now it is almost time for the action to begin. Will the heart of a champion emerge and get redemption or will the agony of defeat reign again??? I guess only time will tell.

No comments: