Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Back to the Basics


September 29, 2007 Jermain Taylor fought the very tough Kelly Pavlik and lost by 7th Round KO. It was the end to a spiraling disaster many had seen. I am a firm believer that if you stick to the basics and keep what works for you everything should work out. Jermain defeated Bernard Hopkins twice to claim the Middleweight crown and I was so happy for him. He was great young fighter who had a lot of respect for himself, others and the sport of boxing. I saw some weaknesses in fight game but I figured they would be worked out with his trainer Pat Burns as time went by. Then out of nowhere to me at least Pat Burns was fired and replaced by Emmanuel Steward. I think Steward is a wonderful trainer but I had my doubts about him coming into Taylors camp. I liked Pat Burns and thought he had a love for Jermain that no other trainer would. First fight for Jermain with Steward was with Winky Wright. The fight ended in a draw but it was a hard fought draw but one that I agreed with. However in the fights after, against Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks, I really was baffled by the fighter I was seeing. Jermain looked confused and very unsure of himself not to mention the left jab that I was loving up to he won the title had disappeared. Hell I had put a search party out to find it. Yes Jermain won the fights but he looked less than stellar and probably should have knocked both Ouma and Spinks out. So then the fight with Kelly Pavlik comes and Jermain is preparing and at first I was think Pavlik was overrated. Then as HBO flashed into the locker rooms I saw Pavlik and how his punches appeared to be harder and more crisp that Jermain's. At that time I said to my then girlfriend, Jermain is going to lose although I don't want him to. I hear some of you thinking you turncoat, no it ain't like that because I even had a bet going with someone that Taylor would win. So the bell rings and Pavlik looks very relaxed and was outjabbing Jermain and Jermain looked nervous to me. He was hyper and unsure looking to me which made me feel like Pavlik would win. Then the 2nd round and Taylor catches Pavlik and gets him hurt and knocks him down. I am like cool maybe my instinct was wrong and Jermain will finish Pavlik I mean he had over a minute in the round to do so. Wrong!!! Jermain did not put together the proper punches and ended up wasting a lot of energy. 3rd round comes and Pavlik stands up and acts like nothing happened in the 2nd round. As Pavlik gets going he appears stronger than Jermain who keeps his left hand low and was making me nervous doing so. Then it came in the 7th round a hard right hand that hurt Taylor and eventually stopped him. So now February 16,2008 the rematch is set. Emmanuel Steward is gone and Jermain is being trained by his amateur coach Ozell Nelson. I've heard Jermain say he has gone back to the basics of training which I think will benefit him. Working on his condition, strength, his jab, straight hands, and defense. As the fight gets closer I keep looking out to see the changes in Jermain and the above picture makes me think he is getting back to the basics for real. Have to admit the favorite is Kelly Pavlik but I think my man Jermain has something to prove and if he truly focuses on the basics I think he will win. Good Luck Jermain I am still rooting for you.

No comments: