Saturday, January 26, 2008

Povetkin Defeats Eddie Chambers

As you know Germany is ahead of the United States in time zone. So I found out Alexander Povetkin won an impressive UD over Eddie Chambers to become the IBF Heavyweight Mandatory. From my understanding Povetkin got going early in the fight and landed the harder punches and Chambers never really caught up. I still will watch the actual fight on HBO tonight but I wanted to let my fans knows when I knew.

************************************UPDATE************************************
Okay I actually saw the fight myself and I will admit it was a pretty good fight. Yes Eddie Chambers lost and it had nothing to do with the judges in Germany although one score was way off in many opinions. Eddie looked real sharp early on landing his left jab and hard right hands but around the 5th round he just quit working hard. I am not sure if he lost his focus or got tired but he just did not press for at least 4 rounds. Alexander Povetkin is a real strong fighter but he has a lot to work on. The main issue he needs to work on is keeping his hands up when backing up. He ate a lot of hard right hands because of his hands being low. If Chambers had more power he would have dropped Povetkin. In saying that if he fights Wladmir Klitschko doing that sh*t it will be lights out very early. Neither Chambers or Povetkin are big heavyweights but I think Povetkin can maintain very well in the division if he protects himself better. Chambers in my opinion reminds me of Chris Byrd who was very slick but lacked enough power in the Heavyweight division. Yes Byrd was a 2-time champion but he was not a fan favorite because of his lack of power. Chambers may want to look at going to the Cruiserweight division where the pop he does have maybe more felt. This is not a shot at Eddie Chambers because I think with his slick crafty style he can possibly get a title at Heavyweight but I think he may get more career success at Cruiserweight.

No comments: