Sunday, July 27, 2008

Golden Boy Pisses Lacy Off Into Retirement


Like most believed, Jeff Lacy was pissed off into retirement. Jeff Lacy was only offered $550,000 to fight Jermain Taylor November 15. This was an amount far less that what Lacy was expecting. I thought Lacy was going to get closer to a million dollars myself. Apparently Golden Boy accepted the monetary terms Wednesday afternoon without the consent of Lacy. Lacy stated he felt Jermain Taylor needed him more than he needed Taylor. Personally I do not think that is true. Yes Taylor has lost two in a row, but he has not lost as much in the ring as Lacy has appeared to. Taylor has other options, this is Lacy's only chance for a big money fight at this time. No one is calling out Lacy, no sanctioning bodies are saying they want Lacy in any title eliminators. I agree that $550,000 is a little low for a fight with Taylor, but Taylor does not need Lacy at all. I agree if Golden Boy accepted a deal without Lacy being involved that was wrong. I hope this can be worked out, I hate to see Lacy retire on a sour note. Yes I do think Lacy is done as an elite, but I never want to see someone leave the sport because of something like this. I am sure more is to come about this.

No comments: