Sunday, July 13, 2008

Kendall Gill: A Real Boxing Lover


This past Friday, former NBA All-Star Kendall Gill was the guest on ESPN2's Friday Night Fights. Gill has had 3 career fights as a Cruiserweight and is 3-0. I have to admit I was very impressed with his knowledge of boxing. So many times I see other athletes or celebrities who claim to know boxing but sound like they do not. Gill appeared to be a real student of the game which I truly respect. When asked if he would box again, he stated he would probably just stick to training and sparring. He said he realizes at 40 he is not young enough for boxing but loves the sport. His analysis of the fights that were on air that night was great. He stated his top 5 fighters which consisted of Sugar Ray Leonard, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali. Gill stated that his collection of fights go back to the real old days. I was simply impressed by Kendall Gill's knowledge and love for the sport of boxing. As someone who truly loves boxing, I love to see others who love it too. Too many people are part-time lovers of boxing which is not what we need. Gill also agrees with me that Roy Jones Jr is going to beat Joe Calzaghe. Brian Kenny, who in my opinion talks too damn much, disagreed. This is also the same guy who thinks Joe Cortez affected Ricky Hatton when he lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. Forget the many punches Hatton took in the fight. However I just wanted to give a shot out to Kendall Gill. I respected him as a basketball player and now I have even more respect for him as a fellow boxing lover. Hope to see you doing some more boxing analysis on television.

2 comments:

clnmike said...

Gill impressed me about his knowledge of the fight game, you know he is serious when he said he has a fight tape collection. I am trying to figure away to convert what I have to DVD.

#1Pound4Pound said...

Get you either a dvd recorder with a vcr on there that you can use or a dvd recorder with the output to hook up a vcr and record. I will tell you the quality will not be the best, but it should be good enough for you to see. Also I don't think you can break the fights and things up like you would on a regular dvd. But yes Kendall Gill impressed me with his knowledge. My friend who thinks Lennox Lewis is horrible as an HBO analysis said Gill should be offered to take Lennox's place.