Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cory Spinks-Verno Phillips Preview



Cory Spinks will win. I believe this because I am from St. Louis and because it is true. Verno is a tough former 2 time Junior Middleweight Champion. However when he steps up in competition, he is outclassed. The cycle of being outclassed by better boxers will not change in this fight either. I feel Cory Spinks is a level above Phillips especially at this stage of Phillips career. Spinks who is a very quick and slick southpaw will utilize his right jab and shoot straight left hands down the line at Phillips all night long. Phillips is tough so he will never give up and I doubt if he is seriously hurt in the fight. However I do see Phillips being dominated by the better boxer in Spinks. Spinks has a new trainer in his corner for this fight, Buddy Shaw, but I do not see too much of a change. Spinks has already developed a style that has worked for him and not much will change because of a new trainer. He will still display the teachings of Kevin Cunningham, which is the stick and move methods that has helped him become a 2 division champion. I can see Phillips trying to outmuscle Spinks to make it a real fight, but the clean effective punching will land by Spinks. Spinks is more precise with his punches and does not engage. The fact that Spinks moves so much makes him a hard target to hit. So I see a 12 round UD in favor of Cory Spinks. For Phillips I see him giving a game performance that you would expect from a champion, but he will fall short. To see this fight live, log on to http://www.donkingtv.com/ at 7pm CST.

No comments: