Sunday, March 9, 2008

Post Fight Thoughts!!!

First of all this was a great weekend of fights and once again I was glad to be a fan. The boxing I saw this weekend was very competitive and I enjoyed it all. Now what is next for the winners of the major fights here. Lets take a look.

Samuel Peter fought a great fight. In his fight, Peter showed how he has improved as a boxer no longer fighting as an amateur professional. Peter has added the jab to his fight game and he is finding out it is a great tool to set up punches. The upper body movements has allowed him to avoid as many punches as he used to take therefore making him a better fighter. I want to see Peter continue to work on his jab and even double and triple his jab. Continue to work on defensive tactics such as keeping his off hand up more to block punches. Also keep working on ducking and dodging punches. If Samuel Peter keeps improving he has a real chance at beating either Klitschko brother they put in front of him. Wladimir Klitschko rematch is the fight we want to see but boxing politics may have Peter fighting Vitali first. In boxing it is not a deal until there is a fight outside of the ring to make the fight inside of the ring. An example of that is Peter getting his shot at Oleg Maskaev. So lets see how the drama unfolds but until then Samuel Peter is the WBC Heavyweight Champion.

Nate Campbell, I am proud of because he finally did it. I saw his first fight agaist Robbie Peden and I have to admit I found it funny. However watching him last night showed how much he has improved as a boxer as well as matured as a person. Yes he still talks trash but he handled his business in the ring instead of showboating and losing the fight. I will admit I figured Diaz would bull his way against Campbell and work down Campbell's 36 year old body. However that did not happen and I am happy. Campbell now has the IBF/WBA/WBO Lightweight Titles and as far as I am concerned is the true champion. Sure Joel Casamayor has the Ring Magazine belt, but he does not appear to be the champion in most eyes. If Casamayor gets past Michael Katisidis on March 22, I think Campbell and Casamayor should do a rematch of their fight. I see Campbell winning the fight this time and then according to everyone he will be the "official" Lightweight Champion. Before Campbell won last night I thought he could beat Casamayor anyway, so I guess time will tell. Now hopefully Campbell can remain champion for awhile and pick up some well deserved high dollar paydays. Once again Happy Birthday, Congratulations on your win, and good luck on your wedding May 17.

John Ruiz won last night but I did not see the fight. I have read it was a boring fight like most of his fights. Not really sure what is next for Ruiz, obviously by winning he will fight on. It appears the WBC is building him up to fight Samuel Peter down the road if he wins another fight or two. Not sure how that will work. I have never been a big Ruiz fan because of his holding style. I guess time will tell what will happen for him. As for Jameel McCline, his days as a top contender are over. He never really had what it took to be a champion and it has always shown. He could continue to fight as a gatekeeper for up and coming fighters or just call it a career. I tend to hope he leans towards calling it a career.

David Haye got the job done last night and in sensational fashion. I was impressed by Haye's power however his style makes me nervous. I know his only loss was by KO and honestly I can see it happening again. Haye keeps his left hand extremely low which can be very dangerous. He wants to move up to Heavyweight which is a great idea, but he is going to have to add some more skills to his game. First he needs to get the left hand up higher and block punches better. Utilize a jab a lot more to establish his position before throwing his power shots. I think he will need to learn how to slip and duck punches better too. I want to see him succeed at Heavyweight because I think his style will bring excitement, but if he continues to hang his left low he will get caught. We already know he has been KOd and has been knocked down, so the more he can do to avoid that happening the better. With his power Haye is always going to be a threat and an attraction now he needs to make sure all the hype is worthwhile. Good Luck I want to see you get a Heavyweight title.

No comments: