Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Gerald McClellan: Not Forgotten


So often we watch boxing and just get so excited. We see guys come and go through the sport and never think about what happens to them afterwards. Most times if a guy gets KOd he gets up a few seconds later and all is well. Then there are those rare occassions when we see a fighter get hurt and get taken out on a stretcher. It does not happen often, but it does happen. Well it happen to Gerald McClellan on February 25, 1995 in a fight against Nigel Benn. McClellan was taken to the hospital to have a emergency surgery to have a blood clot removed from his brain. After staying in a coma for several days, Gerald regained consciousness. It was at that time Gerald was found to have extensive brain damage. He lost his eyesight, the ability to walk, and about 80% of his hearing. Now Gerald is taken care of by his sister Linda and they rely on donations to help pay for his expenses. The insurance money as well as Gerald's fight earnings have long been spent to cover his medical expenses. According to his website, http://www.geraldmcclellan.com/trust.html it takes about $70,000+ a year to take care of Gerald. As a huge boxing fan and a blogger I feel it is my duty to post his site as a link on my page. We as boxing fans need to do what we can to assist those who were former fighters and have been injured permanently. Whether it is financially or just keeping them in our prayers we need to do our part. So I have placed Gerald McClellan's website on the right side of my site and I hope everyone can take a look and hopefully help in some way. I am going to do my part as well. Thank you.

2 comments:

clnmike said...

That is righteous of you.

#1Pound4Pound said...

Thanks man I truly appreciate it.