Monday, June 9, 2008

Top Ten Pound4Pound Fighters

Well since Floyd Mayweather Jr. retired on Friday as well as some recent fights, I had to do some reorganizing on the Pound4Pound list. Since most believe Mayweather will return, I am giving him the Pound4Pound Champion Emeritus ranking. Although I am not a huge Joe Calzaghe fan, he is the best fighter out there now based on boxing ability and skill. Yes I believe his punches come off more as slaps, but he gets the job done. Kelly Pavlik moved up in my ranking because of his performance this past weekend. Yes it was not against top competition, but I saw some improvements in defense that made me see him as a better fighter. Miguel Cotto moved up because of the same thing in his last performance. Depending on how he does against Antonio Margarito and how Manny Pacquiao does against David Diaz we could have another switch. Paul Williams entered into my list after his great performance this past weekend. Ricky Hatton is no longer in the top ten after his lackluster performance. Winky Wright is down to number 10 due to his inactivity. If anyone has any issues with my list, make a comment but other than that this is how it is.

Pound4Pound Champion Emeritus: Floyd Mayweather Jr.

1. Joe Calzaghe
2. Manny Pacquiao
3. Miguel Cotto
4. Kelly Pavlik
5. Bernard Hopkins
6. Israel Vasquez
7. Juan Manuel Marquez
8. Rafael Marquez
9. Paul Williams
10. Winky Wright

4 comments:

clnmike said...

I cant see Putting Joe above Mannny.

#1Pound4Pound said...

Why not Joe? If I had the most exciting fighters, then Pacquiao would be on top. Pound4Pound is Joe Calzaghe. He is undefeated and always steps up in the big fights. His fight with Hopkins was not pretty, but he got the job done. I do think his punches come off as slaps at times which annoys me but he gets the job done. I really think he can be beat, however no one has done it yet. Until then I think he is the best fighter Pound4Pound out there. At his age he has all his quickness and skill. He is the best right now. However Kelly Pavlik is moving nicely as well as Miguel Cotto. We got some great contenders for the Pound4Pound crown.

clnmike said...

I look at who they both fought and I would say Manny has the edge in comp. He has come back from a loss, to me that is worth more than going undefeated.

#1Pound4Pound said...

You know what you have a point about how a fighter comes back from a loss. That is really important, but then you think, what about Floyd? He was #1 and had never lost. So why did he deserve to be #1 then? Personally I do not rank Calzaghe at #1 just because of his undefeated record. He does have 21 successful defenses of his title which is how Hopkins made it to the top of the list too. Then Calzaghe went up in weight and defeated Hopkins. It was not the prettiest fight, but he did win. Pacquiao has won titles in what 3 weight classes now, which is a great feat. He has bounced back wonderfully from his losses. However I feel that overall Calzaghe is the better fit. Now that Pacquiao is considered #1 by Ring Magazine, I do not have any issues with that. This is my opinion. The funny thing is although Floyd was considered #1 by most, there were still many who thought Calzaghe and/or Pacquiao deserved it more based the defenses or competition argument. Now that Floyd is gone, I personally think Calzaghe deserves the #1 position.